Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back in the Shop Again!

Today, I finally started the actual work on a furniture project I've been designing, planning, and generally preparing for for over a year - my stealth-tansu plasma TV cabinet. Here's what it will look like if I do everything just right...

The idea is to have a place for my new 50" Plasma TV to hide so that we don't have to look at the monolith from 2001 lying on it's side every time we walk in the room.

The TV will be lurking in there, waiting for someone to summon it, at which time it will rise from it's slumber behind the false back in the cabinet. Ideally, when you walk into the living room, there will be no sign that a television is even present.

For those who don't know, when I'm not working at my paying job, I spend my spare hours out in my woodshop, which is basically a detached 2-car garage in which I will never park a car, but instead have filled with various machines, hand tools and workbenches. I'm always happiest when I've got a good furniture project going, which really just isn't often enough.

Today, I spent about 4 hours in the shop, and made exactly 5 cuts. The dimensions of the cabinet are 89" long by 18" deep, and the base is 1" thick plywood. Since I don't have a big heavy cabinet saw with a luxurious cast-iron top, using the table saw for this was impractical, and probably dangerous. So I had to use the old SkilSaw, which is always a little tough to control especially when cutting thick stock. I solved that problem by building a fixed sled for the circular saw. Basically, it's a cleat that holds the saw to a piece of plywood with another cleat at the side that rides along the edge. The saw blade cuts through the jig and extends down to cut through the workpiece underneath. Below is a picture midway through a cut into the nice, shiny prefinished maple plywood I'm using for the case.

I gotta say, this thing worked like a charm. Managed an 8' long rip through 1" plywood with no wiggles, no burn marks, and leaving two nice, flat, 90-degree edges. The lesson here is: if you think building a jig to make a couple of simple cuts is a waste of time and materials, think again. Trying to make these long cuts with just a straightedge against the foot of the saw would have been dicey at best, and never would have come out as clean.

I finished up my day in the shop cutting the top of the cabinet and beveling the ends for the miter joints I'll be using to join the case.
Next step is to cut the sides of the case. Hopefully I'll be able to get to that next weekend, so stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. of course, you're so right about jigs. if the point wasn't to invent the most, intelligent, artistic, and elegant method it wouldn't be carpentry for form, function, and fun. simply draping the monolith with a rotating series of Frieda Khalo silk tapestries would do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're both men after my own heart. If I knew how to do it, I would SO be spending my (mythical) free time in the garage making furniture.

    ReplyDelete